It was only a matter of time before someone figured out it would be à propos to launch a collection of perfumes inspired by the (feminine) characters of Downton Abbey, the popular TV show retracing the destinies of a clan of English aristocrats facing a changing modern world...
First come the ladies with a range of 7 perfumes entitled Ladies of Downton.
In a telling twist, all female characters seem to have been edulcorated as they were turned into perfumes. None of their flaws nor ambiguities seem to appear in the formula descriptions. But the reviews might tell otherwise...
Countess dowager Violet is now only "refined" and "cultured" when those are not the first two words that would come to your mind when seeing her sail through the episodes with gusto. Lady Mary is now only "bittersweet" as if she had been transformed into a pensive engraving.
"Anna's Romance" - Anna Bates
• Top Notes: Black Cherry, Bergamot, Bitter Orange
• Middle Notes: Orchid, Almond Blossom, Gardenia
• Base Notes: Vanilla Bean, Liquid Caramel, Patchouli
Charming and romantic with noble character! "Anna's Romance" incarnates her gracious nature, quiet strength and beauty. An irresistible blend of black cherry and bitter orange marmalade mingled with the sweetness of vanilla and honey. Oriental, vanillic, fruity.
"Grace & Devotion" - Lady Cora
• Top Notes: Fresh Citrus, Neroli Mélange
• Middle Notes: Jasmine, Warm Spices, Vanilla
• Base Notes: Musk, Vanilla, Amber
An ode to Lady Cora! Celebrating her devotion to family and her innate grace and beauty. "Grace & Devotion" is refined, classic, spirited and unforgettable with enchanting neroli, inviting jasmine tea and sensual musk. Gourmand vanilla
"Honestly Daisy" - Daisy Mason
• Top Notes: Orange Blossom, Ginger
• Middle Notes: Jasmine, White Floral, Vanilla
• Base Notes: Sheer Musk, Sandalwood, Amber
Pure, honest and youthful with a warm heart! Fresh as the springtime brimming with floral delights, "Honestly Daisy" embodies the beauty of youth and the captivating, open nature of the beloved Daisy Mason. Floral, white flowers, musk.
"Elegant Flourish" - Lady Edith
• Top Notes: Cherry Blossom, Apple, Melon
• Middle Notes: Almond Blossom, Black Cherry, Jasmine
• Base Notes: Amber, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean, Musk
Modern, chic and glamorous! "Elegant Flourish" is a striking homage to the evolution of Lady Edith and to liberty itself! Alluring cherry blossom embraces jasmine and black cherry with a finale of lavish tonka bean and amber; Avant-garde enchantment. Floral, fruity, musk.
"Bittersweet" - Lady Mary
• Top Notes: Amber, Ciste, Labdanum
• Middle Notes: Jasmine, Myrrh, Honey
• Base Notes: Musk, Precious Woods
A masterpiece of sophistication and culture inspired by the delicate and irresistible balance of bitter-sweetness. Rare Amber and precious woods mingle fluidly with the sweetness of jasmine and honey. An intoxicating potion that reveals the complex and mysterious essence of Lady Mary. Oriental, amber.
"Demure" - Lady Rose
• Top Notes: Geranium, Pink Pepper, Freesia
• Middle Notes: Pink Rose, Vanilla Orchid, Peony
• Base Notes: Amber, Orris, Musk, Sandalwood
Sparkling with life and loveliness! "Demure" captures the radiant spirit of Lady Rose with breathtaking Rose de Mai and vanilla orchid mingled with soft musk. Delicate, sensuous, yet innocent and full of life! Oriental floral, rose, powdery.
"Aristocrat" - Countess Violet
• Top Notes: Pink Pepper, Carnation, Mandarin
• Middle Notes: Vanilla Orchid, Cinnamon, Orris
• Base Notes: Amber, Patchouli, Sandalwood
Refined and cultured, "Aristocrat" immortalizes the incomparable Countess Violet. A symphony of velvety orris and smooth orchid with a spark of pink pepper finishing with a rich base of rare amber and sandalwood. Divine! Oriental, woody, spicy.
Each 8 ml bottle of perfume oil is priced at $74,99. A set of all 7 perfumes in 4 ml format is offered for $244,99.
You can also read What Perfume is Worn to Get into Character in Downton Abbey