Fragrance expert Michael Edwards was inducted into the Australian Fragrance Foundation Hall of Fame on August 5th 2009.
"Over 120 industry representatives attended the cocktail event held in the heritage-listed Westpac Bank Building in Martin Place, Sydney. The special evening included two performances by classical music quartet, Accent Strings.
Edwards has classified more fragrances than anyone else in the history of perfumery. He works with every brand and perfumer to check the accuracy of his classifications and work. Today, he divides his time between Sydney, Paris and New York to keep ahead of the avalanche of new fragrances...
• "Through his indispensable Fragrances of the World guides, Michael has not only provided sales consultants with practical sales information, but also demystified the heavily populated fragrance market for consumers."
• "Michael's willingness to make himself available for expert commentary to the Australian beauty media, not only lends credibility and depth to fragrance journalism, but passes this valuable information on to members of the public."
• "We have seen the way he mentors young entrepreneurs developing their own fragrance brands, and with them he is endlessly generous of his time and wisdom."
• "He has bridged the gap between creative perfumer and perfume lover - a remarkable and unique achievement."
President of the Fragrance Foundation Mr Carriol concluded that, "For the Australian fragrance industry to have access to someone with Michael's level of expertise and enthusiasm is an immense privilege.
"Michael, we thank you - you are a fragrance phenomenon and an Australian ambassador to the world of perfumery," said Mr Carriol.
The Hall of Fame Award is offered every two years. Past Fragrance Foundation Hall of Fame inductees include:
• Trish Hale - who worked as a fragrance marketer as well as retail buyer for Grace Bros and David Jones during her 40-year career
• Bernie Leser - considered a legend in the magazine world, Bernie was founder of Vogue Australia and head of Condé Nast publications internationally."
Via press release