What is going on this 2012 spring - summer season in the fashion world of perfume? We are seeing a deluge of new "L'Eau" compositions. Just like sartorial authorities might be keeping tabs on the length of your hemlines and width of your trousers, thinking noses have visibly decided that water was in, once again, as the 90s recede in the distance.
Indeed, the element water has become the key note and idea in new flanker perfumes offering the promise of a novel take on familiar fragrances, but also in new creations...
Could it be that Serge Lutens was right when he predicted that his controversial counter-type perfume L'Eau would soon be imitated by everyone? He said then that he was set against the phenomenon of a society saturated with scents, hence the idea of initiating a ritual of purification to discard overbearing aromatic molecules with a collective spiritual bath to cleanse your soul and nostrils at the same time. Ironically, the fragrance industry which are always very receptive, have responded with more perfumes bearing this promise of the great wash: L'eau is now running in fragrance bottles and on our skins.
If you are a Zeitgeist skeptic, see for yourself:
• Serge Lutens L'Eau Froide - The artist initiates a new-new wave of self-conscious watery fragrances and creates a spin-off of the original L'Eau.
• Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau - In-house perfumer Thierry Wasser continues to explore the limits of a modern reinterpretation of Shalimar.
• Eau de Private Collection - Estée Lauder Private Collection after the rain
• L'Eau de Chloé - An addition of rosewater and added freshness justify the name
• Parisienne L'Eau - She usually likes to drink Perrier water at café terraces
• Lolita Lempicka L'Eau en Blanc - Upcoming review
• Bulgari Mon Jasmin Noir L'Eau Exquise - There had to be a L'Eau iteration just because it is in the Zeitgeist
• Agent Provocateur Maîtresse Eau Provocateur - "Eau" rhymes with "Oh!" and promises shock value
• Giorgio Beverly Hills Eau de Giorgio - Giorgio always smelled too strong for some people's blood and at any rate, it's summer
• Diptyque Eau Rose - The watery facet of rose
• Thierry Mugler Womanity Eau pour Elles - Review upcoming
• Thierry Mugler Alien Aqua Chic
• Thierry Mugler Angel Aqua Chic
• Guerlain L'Eau Boisée - A nice textural and conceptual contrast
• Chanel Allure Sport Eau Extrême - The ad campaign shows a lot of waves
• Azzaro pour Homme L'Eau eau de toilette - Still fresher and lighter
• By Kilian Water Calligraphy -- The water that the scholar uses to wet the ink stone
• Rochas Les Cascades - it's not as evocative as the Trevi fountain scene in La Dolce Vita, but it's a start
Here are some more:
• Nautica Aqua Rush
Now, you know what to wear if you want to be à la page this season.